If your company, proprietorship, or partnership is involved in the construction industry and makes payments to subcontractors for construction services, you have an obligation to report these payments to the CRA. This is the case even if the transaction is through barter or exchange.  Think of these as “T4’s” for your contractors.

This reporting is achieved through filing a Contract Payment Information Return which consists of the T5018 summary along with the associated T5018 slips for each contractor whose annual invoices include $500 or more in service-related charges. If a particular contractor has provided only materials throughout the year, no reporting is required.

T5018 slips can be found at the following web address: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/forms-publications/forms/t5018.html

The following information is required:

  • Box 20 – Period end date – usually the reporting entity’s year-end, but can also be by calendar year
  • Box 22 – Contractor Payments – the total payments made to this contractor during the period
  • Box 24 – The contractor’s Business Number or Social Insurance Number
  • Recipient’s name and address
  • Payer’s Name – your company’s name
  • Payer’s program account number – your business number

The T5018 summary can be found at the following web address: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/forms-publications/forms/t5018sum.html

The following information is required:

  • For the period ending – same as Box 20 above
  • Payer’s program account number – your business number
  • Payer’s information – your business address
  • Box 80 – the number of T5018 slips prepared
  • Box 82 – the sum of Box 22 on all slips
  • Authorized person’s name, phone number, and signature


The T5018 summary and slips are due six months after the reporting date on the slips (the reporting date will be either your fiscal year end or the calendar year end, depending on how you choose to file).

The CRA will levy fees if the T5018 submission is filed late or not at all. The late filing fee structure can be found here: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/businesses/topics/payroll/penalties-interest-other-consequences/payroll-penalties-interest.html#late_filinf_info_return

If you have 50 or more T5018 slips, you must file them over the Internet. This can be done using an XML file or by using Web Forms. Information on this process can be found here: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/e-services/filing-information-returns-electronically-t4-t5-other-types-returns-overview.html.

Businesses with fewer than 50 T5018 slips can choose to file electronically or by mail to:

Regular Mail:

Revenue Canada

Jonquière TC

T5018 Statement of Contract Payments

P.O. Box 1300 LCD Jonquière

Jonquière QC  G7S 0L5


Registered Mail and Courier:

Revenue Canada

Jonquière TC

T5018 Program

2251 René-Lévesque Boulevard

Jonquière QC  G7S 5J2

Source: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/businesses/contract-payment-reporting-system-cprs/information-payers-t5018.html

Written by:  Rob Fahie

Leave a Comment